Sunday 9 September 2012

My Love Affair With UCLAN Begins

Monday 4th September was the start of  induction week at the UCLAN dental clinic. Arrived at Preston excited but not looking forward to a day of health and safety and procedural stuff. Actually it didn't turn out to be as bad as I expected although I was suffering terribly with a bad stomach as a hangover from our India trip. I met my dental and DCP colleagues as well. It seems like we have an excellent, motivated team.

Things got more interesting on my return on Wednesday 6th when I reported for x ray training. I am familiar with the software being used but the x ray machines themselves and how to use them, specifically the OPG were brand new. I fell in love with the Sirona OPG unit and thought that the quality of the images was amazing. I did come back down to earth when I was advised that the cost of such a machine was 45k plus VAT.

That afternoon I had the privilege of meeting my über boss Prof StJohn Crean the head of the postgraduate school. He is one of the most motivated and driven men in dentistry that I have ever come across; however there seems to be a genuine caring and compassion that underpins his drive. It is not all ruthless. Needless to say after 90 minutes with StJohn I was BUZZING. He is bursting with ideas, plans and schemes to drive UCLAN to the top of the university rankings. I am just humbled and privileged to be a small part of this.

The coming week may well see some interactions with real patients...I will keep you posted. However I do feel as though I am going to fall in love with this place. My love affair with UCLAN has indeed begun!

TJD 9.9.12
www.tariqdrabu.co.uk
www.uclandentalclinic.com

No comments:

Post a Comment